Fashion Waste. If you are going to tackle it, you have to question something fairly fundamental. Most definitions of fashion imply something that is popular for a defined period of time. The industry is geared for this, churning out entirely new offerings according to the seasons. Some fast fashion brands have gone even further, offering new pieces on a weekly basis. Retailers crave new products because consumers have grown accustomed to constant change. If we are prepared to celebrate the impermanence of fashion, then we have to deal with waste. In the UK we have almost a complete churn, according to WRAP we buy 1.14 million tonnes of clothing each year to replace the 1.13 million tonnes we discard...
There are lots of ways to resolve this, but for this post I am going to focus on one of them.
At Elvis & Kresse our solution is to abandon the concept of fashion. We don’t do seasons. We focus on executing classic, utilitarian design with high quality craftsmanship. You shouldn’t ever need a second belt from us. Even if you grow or shrink, we will help your belt adjust. We will repair it for you. We are happy to do MOTs, to keep products in great running order. There are lots of brands that work this way, who make well and make once. But most of them are not in the fashion arena.
My Mother still uses pots and pans that she received as wedding gifts, back in 1971. Her lifetime guaranteed deep orange Le Creuset cast iron casserole dish is still in service. The website www.buymeonce.com features all kinds of products that are built to last, including the Le Creuset classics. There are other great examples too. Well built, solid wood furniture should easily last several lifetimes. Elvis made the chair in the picture from a reclaimed whiskey barrel. The wood was already a century old when he started! Another personal favourite is the Alberta Boot Company; their cowboy boots can be resoled and repaired forever. I inherited a pair of these from my younger brother when I was about 16, I still wear them all winter and I am 39! Elvis & I are also fans of the Saddleback Leather company. They make excellent leather bags, the kind ‘they’ll fight over it when you’re dead’. If you have a dog it probably isn’t the best idea to read founder Dave Munson’s post about Blue - but maybe you should read it. There is something uniquely inspiring about people who wear their heart on their sleeve. I think it makes them better craftspeople. Emotional attachment is actually quite important if you are going to love and cherish something, if you are going to keep using it, decade after decade.
Although many products that will last are also quite costly, there are many which aren’t, many which can be acquired second hand on ebay and many which will end up being cheaper as they won’t have to be replaced. Maybe it requires a bit of research, but trust me, buying this way whenever you can is absolutely worth it.
Don’t be fashionable, be forever.
Before placing an order, if you have any questions at all about these terms and conditions, please email James!
These terms & conditions are updated from time to time and the changes will be effective at the point of order.
Delivery, Returns & Exchanges
- We will contact you if there is an excessive delay in sending out your goods.
- Goods will be shipped according to the method selected by you, at the time you place your online order.
- Goods are usually despatched on the same working day if placing your order before 15:00 UK time.
- Some products are made to order and so may take 2 working days to dispatch.
- Exchange items can be requested a maximum of two times. Further exchange requests may be refused.
- Customers sending cheque payments will have a delay in their order being despatched.
- Personalised items cannot be returned unless there is a fault with the product.
- Personalised items may take longer to ship (up to 2 additional days)
- Returns will be accepted only if they are in the same condition that they were received and within 30 days of despatch.
- Goods are subject to availability. If an item becomes out of stock when we receive the order, we will let you know right away and you will not be charged.
- Each of our pieces are unique. There are slight variations in colour and detailing - some items may have the Angus Duraline details printed onto the hose when it is first extruded and some may not, but they all look fabulous! If you require a particular style ie writing or no writing, please email James when you place the order stating your name, the product ordered and the style you require and we will do our utmost to accommodate you.
- All sizes and measurements are as accurate as possible.
- Products are made from reclaimed material and as such are vintage and will bear the scars of active duty.
- All Elvis & Kresse products carry a 12 month guarantee from the date of purchase. If within this period you detect a fault, they will be replaced or repaired as appropriate.
- Payments are processed at the time of ordering.
- All prices include VAT where appropriate.
- Eako Ltd is registered for VAT in the UK - GB864102249
- The total cost of the order is that of the goods purchased plus delivery charges.
- All products are sent either with a courier or via Royal Mail Signed For services and so a signature will be required.
- We can ship to most countries around the world but if you require any further information, please contact James
- Shipping to the UK is free on orders over £100.00 and on International orders over £200.00
Customs and Import duties
- Any additional charges for customs clearance on products delivered outside the EU are borne by the customer
- The customer is considered the importer of record and must comply with laws of the importing country.
- Customs policies vary from country to country so if you require further information please contact your local customs office.
Elvis & Kresse is a registered trademark of Eako Ltd. The design, images and content © copyright of Eako Ltd (22nd June 2011), all rights reserved.